Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I Can't Keep Putting This Off Forever...

I am terrible at goal-setting.  If I ever do set goals, I rarely, if ever, meet them.  

This post is my attempt at goal-setting and eventually, meeting them.  I'm hoping that the accountability of blogging about this, will force me into finishing these 'projects'.


Project #1: Re-Organize My Closet

Because it looks like this:


This may not look that bad, but it used to look so nice.... all organized and pretty.


This shelf has just become a mess of junk.  I hate it! Yet I keep adding to it everyday.  It shouldn't look like this. Ever.


I have got to find a better way to store all my scarves.  Originally I had them all folded and stacked all pretty, it looked like a rainbow.  Trouble with that was, I was always too lazy to fold them all up again.  Hence, the above photo.

To Do:
  • Purge clothes (I do this about every six months, if I can't remember the last time I wore it, or it doesn't fit anymore - it's gonzo)
  • Find better storage solution for my scarves and purses
  • Clear out the 'junk' shelf and use it for a purpose

Project 2: Re-Organize Basement Storage

Even just thinking of tackling this is overwhelming!  We had this space in the basement that was too small to really be of any use to us, until we bought these fantastic shelves from Costco and decided to use the space as a pantry/storage area.  It started organized, and then stuff just kept getting put there.


View from the bottom of the stairs, looking to the right. Oh, and that is our upright freezer on the left.  Best thing ever!


A closer view of the shelves on the left hand side of the room. Notice all the stuff on the floor... I hate that!


The shelf on the right. Again, crap on the ground!


The view, in all it's cluttered glory.  It makes my chest all tight and anxiety-ey when I look at this.

Side note: thats my laundry room at the end of the hall.  It's so plain and boring.  I have a strong desire to make it pretty.  I'm sure it'll get done... eventually.

To Do:
  • Purge junk.  Get stuff together for a garage sale.
  • Create designated area's 
  • Put stuff together for garage sale

Project #3: Re-Organize The Kitchen

Sigh, the kitchen.  I have re-organized my kitchen three times since we moved into this house, and the last time I did it, I totally mucked it up.  Enough so that my husband comments on it almost every time he opens a  cupboard.

Here is the evidence:


This picture doesn't look too bad.  I absolutely love opening a cupboard and seeing all my Tupperware smiling at me.  The cupboard on the left is a mess, a little bit of everything is thrown in there, and it's too packed.  Why the cupboard on the left doesn't work, will make sense when you see the next photo.


I have no idea what I was thinking when I decided to put all the spices, sauces and random canned goods all put together on a deep shelf.  Oh, I remember, I was thinking, I'll put all the things that I don't use on a regular basis towards the back.  Made sense at the time, until I needed to use one of the items at the back.  It was a HUGE pain in the rear.  It just makes no sense.  And my China doesn't belong there, in amongst non-perishables.


Look at that.  Ridiculous.


When I look at this picture, I see wasted space.  I know that I can fit my China in this cupboard, somehow.  This cupboard can be used way more efficiently.


This is the cupboard in our island/bar thingy.  It also houses Jasper's food, which is why I was unable to get a shot of it with out him sniffing it out.  This cupboard is so crammed with random stuff, it makes it very difficult to get a pups food.  We've got candles, table cloths, platters and plates.  I don't like it, not one bit.  It didn't use to be this way.

To Do:
  • Empty out every cupboard in question
  • Decide if I want to purge any 'houseware' item, and put it with garage sale items
  • Put it all back into the cupboards, but in a smarter, more efficient way
Oh my goodness,  this is a long post, and an overwhelming one.  Seeing it all laid out like this.  It's OK, I can do this.  I know I will feel so much better once this is all taken care of.  I also know that by the time I'm finish these projects, there will be more to do.  It's never ending, isn't it?

As I complete a project I will post about it.   Hopefully you won't have to wait to long to see it!

Do you have any projects on the go?  Been putting anything off?  What is something that you have been dreading tackling? (Mine would be the basement storage!)



1 comment:

  1. You should let my husband (aka the perpetual purger) come over. It would be clean in a day. Seriously though - good luck with this! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete